Sunday 24 May 2009

Antique Fashion Plates - Introduction




Hello, and welcome to my blog. This is the first in a series of irregular postings which I hope will appeal to anyone interested in the publication, or collection of antique fashion plates, particularly from the Georgian and Regency eras.

I have a large collection of these myself, mainly in the form of antique fashion magazines, which were often collected into volumes. I have lost count of how many volumes I have altogether! I also have hundreds of individual plates from English, French and German publications. I sell duplicates from my collection on Ebay most weeks. Details of my shop can be found here: http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cabrios-Antique-Prints-Books

I am hoping to write some notes about the publications which contain the best fashion plates, such as 'Ackermann's Repository' and 'La Belle Assemblee', as well giving details of some of the personalities associated with them: John Bell, Richard Phillips, Rudolf Ackermann and the shadowy figure of Madame Lanchester.

I will also be looking at specific aspects of the collections: English and French plates, riding habits, mourning dress, children and men's plates and others. I must point out that I am interested in the publications themselves rather than the fashions depicted.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cabrio, Just wanted to say you own the best shop on eBay. :-) Really glad your've begun a blog. I'm intrigued by Madame Lanchester; Many of her plates appear to use the same red-haired lady who models Ackermann's 1809 Greek-style Walking Dress. My impression is perhaps her Romantic style of fashions did not suit an emerging affluent English middle class (?)
    I note there are some uncoloured Ackermann plates; I have an 1811 Walking Dress plate (n ot from Cabrio) with a pale blue coat- the text says coat is purple ! It is skillfully coloured but clearly not purple. lol ! Any ideas on why why some plates were not coloured or coloured differently ? And were uncoloured fashion plates published by Ackermann ? Thanks for any comments. Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy, many thanks for your kind comments! I have only seen the uncoloured plates as prints, not bound into volumes. Perhaps there was a cheaper edition with uncoloured plates, or perhaps they were spares? If the colours are different, perhaps the artists just ran out of paint! Please make sure you join as one of my 'followers' as that means you will receive updates when I post a new blog. (I have just amended the last one) Cheers, Linda

    ReplyDelete